Tuesday 1 April 2014

Blog Task 12

This module has given me many opportunities to use ICT and to make links to Literacy which has been inspiring for me as a future practitioner and ICT subject leader. I had not used Ipads with children before and have become a lot more confident in using the different Apps. I underestimated the abilities of children using technology, especially working with Year 1, as the majority of them had their own Ipads and knew more than me when using the Ipads. However, children are growing up in a world full of technology and need to be digitally literate and embrace it (Halsey, 2007). Therefore it is important for me to keep up to date and continue learning new technologies to be able to use them in my own teaching. This module has given me an insight into the background and theory behind different modes of text used in the classroom and how advertising effects children.

Having a greater understanding of using technology in schools through experiencing planning and leveling children's work, I appreciate the role of the ICT subject leader. I must ensure that all staff are confident using technology and to support them in their understanding and critical thinking (FutureLab, 2010). I have challenged myself by learning how to use different Apps on the Ipad and also teaching this to children.

I have particularly enjoyed being in school, as I have learnt many features of using Ipads which I was not aware of before. Creating videos, animation and sound bites has improved my skills and showed me how versatile ICT is through a range of cross curricular links. I found that learning how to level the children helped as you can easily plan the lesson so it meets each of the levels, to give the children the best level achievable. I have learnt how talk partners are to help encourage children sharing ideas, as well as incorporating ICT into literacy lessons, to make them more engaging through learning new skills when typing up work and presenting it in creative ways. For example, carrying out projects, instead of writing essays, the children can create animation, videos and sound bites to share information or stories, which gives children the opportunity to become digitally literate (FutureLab, 2010).

During my own teaching, I plan to incorporate a range of technologies which children can take advantage of new emerging opportunities with cross curricular links for children to help make sense of the world (FutureLab, 2010). I have enjoyed completing blogs each week on different areas of technology and literacy, as it increased my knowledge in researching new areas which all linked. Children need to be equipped in using technology (Marshall, 2010). I now feel confident using technology with children and would like to give them the opportunity to use new and interactive ways to develop their skills and understanding through experimenting with technology.

FutureLab. (2010) Digital Literacy across the Curriculum. [online]http://www2.futurelab.org.uk/resources/documents/handbooks/digital_literacy.pdf(Accessed: 29/03/14)

Halsey, S. (2007) ‘Embracing emergent technologies and envisioning new ways of using them for literacy learning in the primary classroom’. in English Teaching: Practice and Critique, 6 (2) pp. 99-107. [online] Available from: http://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ832191.pdf (Accessed: 31/03/2014).

No comments:

Post a Comment